Reply To: Guidance for a new PI

Here are some answers from “Ask a PI Panel”. Make sure you visit community page to get more answers like this

George Gergis

Hi Crystal,

You are on the right track seeking knowledge. The timing of your questions, are strikingly coincidental. Last week I assigned a locate investigation to one of our investigators that was brought in from the field to start doing more background and locate work. Our case involved locating a homeless elderly man gone estrange from the family. I asked the investigator for an update yesterday and she said she was stuck and asked for advice.

The initial advice I offered was meant to be cruel and shocking for the specific purpose to jolt the mind or spirit of the investigator, by simply saying “you’re the investigator, investigate” then added to be smart and diligent in her efforts. (maybe I’ve been watching too much Hell’s Kitchen and adopting Ramsey’s method of training)

We have all been there not knowing what to do next on a locate, a mentor of mine (many years ago) told me a locate investigation is to an investigator what a roux is to a French Chef, it is a complicated basic needed task for our profession. Instead of thinking about a locate investigation only mathematically, add art to it. It’s not just the ingredients in the roux, it’s also how it’s mixed, stirred, held over the heat etc.

Use your analytical skills, research skills, experience to take known information, developing probable outcomes and following up on the probabilities, then developing leads from the probabilities until you locate someone. Attached is a section from our agency’s investigator guide for Analysis of Intelligence providing some insight to methods of analyzing collected data for developing probabilities worth pursuing. This is the same advice given to our investigator today, after she had some time to think about ways to force the art into her thinking.

Also offered the simple version, a locate is gathering background information on a missing subject until you find a piece of information indicating where the missing subject is located, or finding someone that knows were the missing person is and then using your talents to convince that someone to tell you where your missing is located.

The quality standards guide from the Indiana Society of Professional Investigators is in the forms section of the learning section on this site

Hope this helps, please feel free to reach out anytime…. George

GEORGE GERGIS, Legal Investigator | INVESTIGATIVE SUPPORT UNIT
CERTIFIED LEGAL INVESTIGATOR | CERTIFIED CRIMINAL DEFENSE INVESTIGATOR |INSURANCE FRAUD CERTIFIED
Email: ggergis@isu-net.com | Office Phone: 574.231.7104 ext 901
Indiana: 219.226.6400 | Illinois: 312.489.8484 |National: 888.733.3009
P.O. Box 10231 South Bend, IN 46680 |www.InvestigativeSupport.NET

Assistant National Director, NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LEGAL INVESTIGATORS

Copyright © 2020 Investigators Toolbox. All rights reserved

New Report

Close